Bhutan Travel Cost & Logistics
Mired in myth and mystery, mostly misunderstood, Bhutan has always been an intriguing country in the minds of many. For those who have visited the place, traveling to Bhutan is just about getting in touch with a local travel agent who will make the logistics as seamless as possible. However for those who are yet to understand the logistics, many find arranging a vacation to Bhutan to be a tedious process.
Bhutan has been for years, taken a very cautious approach to tourism, keeping in mind the ripple affect mass tourism brings to a particular country. The low volume high impact tourism policy has been a prefect recipe in keeping Bhutan rich culture and tradition intact. Today Bhutan stands proud with at least 70 percent of its land under forest and protected areas, which are home to diverse species of flora and fauna, no wonder Bhutan is regarded as, one of the top ten bio diversity HOTSPOT in the world.
“Happiness” is how Bhutanese like to be rated with, as far as development is concerned. The policy of Gross national happiness conceptualized by the fourth king of Bhutan, states that the development of a country is based on how happy the people are versus how much money the country is making. A country where time stands still, blessed with pristine natural beauty, abundant biodiversity, rich culture and traditional, immense adventure options, great trekking and hiking opportunities are some of the highlights which draws visitors to Bhutan.
Having discussed why you should visit Bhutan, we feel it is important that we discuss on how Bhutan logistics work, simply because many find it to be a complex process. Rest assured once the logistics is sorted, a visit to Bhutan offers nothing less than a trip of a lifetime.
1. Any tour to Bhutan has to be pre packaged, pre-booked and pre paid prior to arrival. It advisable to book tours at least a month in advance. Last minute booking can be done with a lead time of 14 days.
2. The government of Bhutan has fixed a minimum daily tariff of US$ 250 per person per day . The Minimum tariff includes following.
- Accommodation in a government approved hotels on twin sharing basis
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner – either in the hotel or local
- Bhutanese restaurant
- Transportation throughout Bhutan with a dedicated driver.
- Licensed English speaking guide for the entire period of tour
- All site seeing indicated in the itinerary
- All government taxes including government royalty
- Route permits and special permits
- Entrance fee in monument and museums.
3. Apart from the above rates the following additional surcharges is added on the minimum rate quoted above.
- Single Traveler: US$ 40 per night
- Two Travelers: US$ 30 per person per night
- Three and More: waived off for three and more travelers
Your total cost will work out as follows:
- US$ 290 per night for single person
- US$ 280 per night per person for two people
- US$ 250 per night for three or more people
4. Once the tour is confirmed we will handle all administrative work such as
- Applying for the visa and getting it approved
- Hotel bookings
- Tour, guide, car and driver arrangement
- Flight booking. Flight booking is based on book and buy and can also be directly purchased online from www.drukair.com.bt
5. Other costs may be summarized as follows:
- Visa fee ( on arrival US$ 20 per person)
- Toursim Development fee of US$ 5 per person per entry
- Personal expense like laundry, telephones and tips
6. In order for us to process the visa we require the following.
- Colored scanned copy of your passport ( valid for 6 months and more)
- 14 working days to process your visa
- Pre payment prior to arrival is required as per the policy of the government.
The Aman Resort, Uma Paro, Zhiwaling Hotel, Taj Tashi and Terima Linca are the only hotels extending five star service and accommodation facilities. As the minimum government tariff does not include accommodation arrangement in 5 star hotels, arrangement can be made for you to stay in these properties at an additional surcharge.
Druk Air - Royal Bhutan Airlines
Price varies according to sector, class and season. Approximate price range could be between US$ 240 – US$ 740 per person. Departure tax at the airport is normally included in the price of your ticket. Druk air ticket can be purchased online from the company’s website www.drukair.com.bt. Bhutan is connected to following international destinations:
1. Bangkok ( Thailand)
2. Delhi ( India)
3. Kathmandu (Nepal)
4. Bagdogra ( India)
5. Kolkata ( India)
6. Mumbai (India)
Bhutan Tour Discounts
The discounts stated below can be applied in the tariff depending on the cases discussed below
- Children of 5 years and below is entitled to free government fees
- 50 % discount in government fee applies to children of 6-12 years
- Full time students below the age of 25 are given a 25% discount on government fee (evidence required)
- 50% discount on the minimum daily tariff is applied to one person in a group of 11-15 persons
- 100% discount on the minimum daily tariff is given to one member in a group exceeding 16 persons
- Travel agents aspiring to include Bhutan as one of their destination may apply for familiarization discount, subjected to approval from Tourism council of Bhutan after verification of the company’s profile.
All tour payments are to be made via wire transfer of funds upon confirmation. A Bhutan visa can only be applied upon remittance of fund. All monetary transaction between the clients and the agents are strictly monitored by Tourism council of Bhutan due to their particular interest in government taxes.